Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It's Not That Easy

There are three immense, looming obstacles to financial security I have been observing the people I work with bump into. One of them is student loan debt. It not only messes up credit in ways that can seem hopeless, but it prevents them from going back to school, the very thing that supposedly will help them over the poverty line.

Somehow I found myself at this article.  It is a story that weaves elements from those of people I work with. It also, with one twist of choice and a different demographic or two, would be my story. Which may be why I had the urge to cry when I read it.

It is another tale from the neverending story of girls from low socioeconomic brackets and minority groups, clawing their way up from the bottom of the pile while the rest of us think we are "helping."

"They just need an education" is second only to "why don't they just get a job" on my "Most Irritating Things People Say to Try to Fix Poor Women" list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment