Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Thursday, August 4, 2011

In Prison without a Cause

Maybe it's because I was just on a hiking trip or because my friend Cathy recently went to Uganda, but this article captured my attention.

What in the world is going on here?  Why are these guys still being detained?  The whole story is crazy and raises more questions than it answers.

It is difficult to stomach terrible things happening to people who do amazing work.  It is much easier to draw a line and say "these are the good guys and these are the bad guys."  It is hard to process that there are some countries in the world where being a U.S. citizen is not going to help you and can, in fact, make it worse for you.  It is even more difficult to think about the numbers of people around the globe unjustly thrown in prison and staying there.

Not a happy story.  Not things I want to think about with my husband planning a trip to Kenya.  But when I am grappling with stories I find incomprehensible, I try to imagine how I would feel in those situations. And I think those people around the world sitting in rotten prison cells for no good reason should not be forgotten. It takes real bravery to fight for people wrongly and arbitrarily imprisoned when the stakes are ... wrongful and arbitrary imprisonment.  I am not sure I could pull out that kind of courage from the depths of my soul.  But some people, thankfully, can.

http://www.amnesty.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment