Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Men in Aprons: My 8 Year Old's Opinions on Marriage

 My 8 year old announced today that when she grows up and gets married she does not want to get stuck with all the "lady" chores like cleaning the house and doing the laundry.

My high schooler responded, "Well, those things are cultural. It's not like a rule that girls have to do them."
"You mean I don't have to do them?" 8 year old sister was very happy but skeptical...
I entered the conversation: "You can tell your future husband that you would like him to do half the chores and you to do half the chores and you can negotiate."
(Not that I am a very good example of how this could work, which is why my kid had the notion of "lady chores" in the first place...)
My 8 year old laughed, "Ha! Maybe he could wear an apron and do ALL those chores!"
Her sister joined in her laughter. As I was about to interject something about fairness, my  8 year old said, "But I would not want him to wear one of those aprons that says 'Kiss the Cook' on it!"


No comments:

Post a Comment