Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Friday, April 29, 2011

If He Has to Leave Me for Someone...

Reminder: Book club discussion next Friday, one week from today on Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Speaking of eyes and God ...  I am about to reluctantly share something with you. Why reluctant? First, because it comes from the one woman on earth I am certain my husband would leave me for: Tina Fey.  Not that I've heard she's after science ed profs.  Secondly, it's probably a little inappropriate.  Third, other bloggers have posted it ad nauseum. But it made me laugh, and also hit upon some truths. It somehow seemed to fit the "celebration of girlyness" thing. It's her prayer for her daughter from her new book Bossypants. So don't read on if you don't like slightly inappropriate humor, you don't want to read this thing that's taken the web by storm again, or you don't like Tina Fey.  Because my husband would leave me for her because she's smarter and funnier than me. 

"First, Lord: No tattoos. May neither Chinese symbol for truth nor Winnie-the-Pooh holding the FSU logo stain her tender haunches.
May she be Beautiful but not Damaged, for it’s the Damage that draws the creepy soccer coach’s eye, not the Beauty.
When the Crystal Meth is offered, May she remember the parents who cut her grapes in half And stick with Beer.
Guide her, protect her
When crossing the street, stepping onto boats, swimming in the ocean, swimming in pools, walking near pools, standing on the subway platform, crossing 86th Street, stepping off of boats, using mall restrooms, getting on and off escalators, driving on country roads while arguing, leaning on large windows, walking in parking lots, riding Ferris wheels, roller-coasters, log flumes, or anything called “Hell Drop,” “Tower of Torture,” or “The Death Spiral Rock ‘N Zero G Roll featuring Aerosmith,” and standing on any kind of balcony ever, anywhere, at any age.

Lead her away from Acting but not all the way to Finance. Something where she can make her own hours but still feel intellectually fulfilled and get outside sometimes And not have to wear high heels.
What would that be, Lord? Architecture? Midwifery? Golf course design? I’m asking You, because if I knew, I’d be doing it, Youdammit.
May she play the Drums to the fiery rhythm of her Own Heart with the sinewy strength of her Own Arms, so she need Not Lie With Drummers.
Grant her a Rough Patch from twelve to seventeen. Let her draw horses and be interested in Barbies for much too long, For childhood is short – a Tiger Flower blooming Magenta for one day – And adulthood is long and dry-humping in cars will wait.
O Lord, break the Internet forever, That she may be spared the misspelled invective of her peers And the online marketing campaign for Rape Hostel V: Girls Just Wanna Get Stabbed.
And when she one day turns on me and calls me a Bitch in front of Hollister, Give me the strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a cab in front of her friends, For I will not have that Shit. I will not have it.
And should she choose to be a Mother one day, be my eyes, Lord, that I may see her, lying on a blanket on the floor at 4:50 A.M., all-at-once exhausted, bored, and in love with the little creature whose poop is leaking up its back.
“My mother did this for me once,” she will realize as she cleans feces off her baby’s neck. “My mother did this for me.” And the delayed gratitude will wash over her as it does each generation and she will make a Mental Note to call me. And she will forget. But I’ll know, because I peeped it with Your God eyes.
Amen."

5 comments:

  1. I had not read that. And I do appreciate a good dose of inappropriate humor. Is there anyone funnier than her?! So great! (I read it out loud to Brian, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most perfect mommy prayer. So great. I am sure I have said similar prayers before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know - when I first read it I was like "Wait - this is serious - not funny!";)

    But it is totally funny.

    What is not funny is that I see the day coming soon where I will have to be calling the cab and not having that shit....

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it, tiff. I had not heard it before either. soooo much truth in it, and the inappropriate humor makes it so much better :)

    I will totally grab audrey by the hair in front of her friends... and probably throw her into the mini-van with her brothers laughing at her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh and cry all at once. Maybe cuz I'm pregnant; maybe because she is a genius. Maybe both.

    ReplyDelete