Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Putting It All On The Line

When I was leafing through the May 2, 2011 TIME 100, World's Most Influential People issue the other night, I noticed among the Obamas, Justin Bieber, and Oprah entries a name that stands out. Aung San Suu Kyi.

Do you know who she is?

My side gig puts me in contact with a lot of Burmese people.  They are probably the largest people group coming to Syracuse recently. It can be frustrating work, because communication is almost impossible.  But behind the very different culture are horrible stories.  Their lives as refugees, if you can believe this, have often been less "privileged" than that of other groups.  Sometimes, there was no refugee camp at all to educate and entertain children or give out food.  There was just the running, with no rest whatsoever.  The junta ruling Burma has no rhyme or reason except that of brutality and greed. My friend Pam, THE BEST refugee worker in the U.S., has a video that leaves one shocked and horrified as it depicts the struggle of the Burmese people.  To get an idea of the background, this article paints a picture of the current political situation.

And then there is Aung San Suu Kyi.  If you read the articles, you will probably agree with my surprise that this woman is even alive.  Those governing Burma, it seems to me, do not give a hoot about what the rest of the world would think about them offing her. This lady is tireless in her fight for her people.  She hasn't seen her children in years.  She sacrificed being able to see her husband right before he lost his fight with cancer. She was under house arrest in Burma.  Even if she managed to leave the country, she could never come back in.  And she felt she had to stay and fight for her people.

I am fairly certain that at the point at which I knew my husband was dying and I could not see him again, I would abandon my efforts for change in my country.  I would pass the baton to someone else, and declare that I had sacrificed enough.  Even if there was no one else to take the baton, which appeared to be the situation Aung San Suu Kyi was in.  She understands the deep suffering of countless Burmese, and has given much at tremendous personal cost.

It is difficult to know when enough is enough. But how would I know? I have never put myself in the position where I have put so much out there that turning back seems impossible.  I always have one toehold in my back-up plan, a reserve tank handy, and an escape route in pocket.

I hope Aung San Suu Kyi will be able to see the day when her people are truly free of oppression.  When they can come home, or at least stay home, and lead normal lives.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely. I often wonder the same thing. Could I? Would I? It is easy to do it here, safely with support. How brave would I be in much harsher circumstances. I would hope that I would still be pretty damn brave but I hope I never have to find out. On the other hand, I wish no one else did either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, and I just read the article you linked. I feel like their military sound like big bully children with grown up weaponry and consequences for those around them. It sounds awful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does, for sure. When Jeff and I first read this article last summer, we talked about how their is no political ideology involved - just pure greed. I encourage everyone to click on the photo essays like "The Two Burmas" and the one about Aung San Suu Kyi as well.

    ReplyDelete