Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Slacker

That's me (in black).  I could try to blame my sister (in red) for my lack of posting the past few days, but since she managed to post on Tuesday, that excuse fails.  This photo of us was taken near Eastern Market on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on Sunday.  A lovely, lovely day.

I packed up my children on Saturday with the pressing knowledge that next year and for all the ones that follow, I might have the kind of job that does not allow me to take off with them on their Spring Break.  And I wanted to make one last special Spring Break memory for them. Plus, Aunt Kristy and Uncle Mike are having a baby this August and cannot make the trip to us as they always do. My husband had to work, but he threw a poker night in our absence and I came home, I kid you not, to a refrigerator packed with beer.

It was one of those visits when afterwards you find yourself trying to shake off the post-trip blues.  I love hanging out with my sister and brother-in-law.  I love big city dwelling.  I love getting away from my responsibilities for awhile.  I love carving out time for only exploring and spending time with people I really like.  And I love the 70 degree weather that most certainly did not follow me home.

 I do not like Pennsylvania highways, however.  There is ALWAYS pea soup fog, downpours, or major construction projects every time I go through that state.  I also do not like that Anna now throws up when she watches movies in the car.  Crabby, bored Anna makes for a long and unpleasant trip.  I am not a fan of post-trip laundry or tallying trip receipts.  But I really, really, really don't like the sad, empty, feeling that accompanies the aftermath.  The kids are feeling it too, which makes it even worse.  My husband, however, is happy to have us back.  He reported that it was fun to be a bachelor again for exactly 24 hours.

Back to papers, cleaning, appointments, laundry, etc. And blogging. The stuff of real life:)  One of the odd things I know deep in my heart is that I belong in this place at this time.  But I thoroughly enjoyed my stint as a slacker.  New "real" posts to come.  Maybe.  I do have some deadlines looming that I totally ignored.....

3 comments:

  1. I felt the post-visitor emptiness. I, like you, know this is where we belong right now, but I really felt drawn to hop in the car and follow you to Syracuse. We loved having you and really miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the post-visit blues, just from reading. My heart breaks everytime I head back to my new (not so new anymore) home... because I'm usually leaving someplace I'm more comfortable and people that know me, know my past, and love me non-the-less.
    I'm sad now... I hope you're past the blues :) It must be awesome to have a sisters you love so much and long to be with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly, I feel post-visit blues after girls' weekends too:)

    ReplyDelete