Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's My Party

This year I will turn 31.  I will also be visiting Uganda in August.

What do those two things have in common?

I have decided showing up in Uganda empty handed is like the lamest thing ever.  I mean, I give on a monthly basis but I want to do something special for the grandmothers that I love so much.

For my birthday this year I have started a campaign to raise enough money to build a grandmother a house.  It only costs $700 to build a house with metal roof to keep out the elements.

Visit the Nyaka AIDS Foundation page to view photos of their current standard of living by clicking here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=235422&id=84413107212

Jackson once told me a powerful story that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

It rains daily in Uganda.  The conditions of the homes that many of our grandmothers live in is very poor.  If you've seen the picture, you can tell that water would run right through the roof.  There is no sleep for a family being rained on.  The grandmothers will ball up school uniforms under their grandchildren on the floor and huddle all together to keep them dry for school in the morning.

Did you get that?

Education is so important to these families that they will lay on the ground huddled over their school uniforms to keep them clean and dry for the next day.  They will lay in the rain.

Because this is my last day to post on Nyaka, I wanted to share that story and the link to my Birthday Page.

http://wishes.causes.com/wishes/251302?bws=fb_stream_wish

Jackson and I were joking that I could build a subdivision and name it Taj Mahal.

Good sense of humor!

It's my party and I will build a subdivision if I want to!

1 comment: