Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Feel At Home

I was planning to go over the edge this year.  Not mentally.  That has already happened.  I had on my list of things to do this year


- to repel the Boji Tower!


Unfortunately, that is probably not going to happen.  Not because I'm scared.  I won't be scared until I actually lean over the edge.  That is when I may have a panic attack.  Now I am fine.  It is a fundraiser for Team Lansing.  I love my city and I really want to raise money for it...almost as much as I want to repel down that big beautiful building.

Probably not going to happen.

I know that Tuesday is "cause" day. Bear with me.  It's coming.

I just found out that I will be going to Uganda in November.  I will be visiting the Nyaka AIDS Orphans Project.  Which reminds me...I need to update my passport now.


Any whoooo...


I have been working for the Nyaka AIDS Orphans Project since September of 2010.  It is an organization that provides free education to orphans who have lost one or both parents to HIV/AIDS.  The idea is huge.  There are over 2.4 million AIDS orphans in Uganda and we currently serve 547 children now.  A very important drop in the global bucket.


This goal is amazing.  The fact that the man who lived in the village of Nyakagyezi, Uganda has seen this vision through to fruition is amazing.  All things being equal, he could have stopped there.  He could have said, they have access to an education, I can go back to America a good, generous man.  Enough.


By the way "he" is Twesigye Jackson Kaguri, the Founder and Executive Director of the organization. 


However, the teachers began to report that children who at first came to the school bursting with energy were becoming exhausted and lethargic throughout the day.  They typically walk 7 miles to school every day on one meal.  They were malnourished and over worked. 




The organization built Desire Farm and started a Nutrition Program.  The children still have to walk for miles but they receive two nutritious meals from their own organic farm.


Again. Done.  They can eat and learn.  Problem solved.


Eventually, children were finding it difficult to attend school.  Grandmothers were getting sick and someone had to care for them.  Water had to be fetched and chores done every day.  Our grandmothers on average care for 7 children orphaned by the death of their parents.  We will talk about them in a minute.


The Nyaka AIDS Orphans Project built gravity fed water systems, bringing clean water to the people.  CLEAN water.  The water that would decrease illness in students and grandmothers.  The water that would be closer, so chores would not interfere in class time.


At Nyaka and Kutamba School, they trade the school nurse for students.  When a grandmother gets sick, the student reports to the school and sends the nurse on a home visit.  The student can get an education and the grandmother can receive care from a trained professional.


By the way, the child most likely to stay home will be a girl.  (Remind me to post about the "Pad Our Sisters" Project this month. 


Our grandmothers....*sigh*


I love these women.  They deal with greif, stress, age, illness and severe, suffocating poverty but they persevere.  I have so much respect for this group of women.  Jackson has said that we will not rest until our grandmothers do.  I swear the same oath now.  I spend my days selling their baskets.  I am a little sad because we just hired an intern to take over the Grandmother Basket Project that has grown to be too big (yaay!) for me to handle along with my other duties (boooo!).


I am glad that we are covering causes on Tuesdays because I could write a novel...oh, wait...my boss did!


It's called The Price of Stones.  Try to pick it up and read all about the way the organization began.


I will continue to fill you in on the Nyaka AIDS Orphans Project this month.  Every Tuesday, I will focus on another bit. It's just too big and too amazing for one blog post.


I hope that is okay Tiff & Amanda? ;)

Okay, so the reason I am not going to repel?  I have decided that instead of raising $500 for the city I love, I am going to try and raise $700 to build a grandmother a new home.  I didn't mention that our organization builds homes, kitchens and latrines for the grandmothers did I?  Well now you know why I need all month to tell you about Nyaka!

I can't show up in Uganda empty handed, now can I?  It would be like showing up to a dinner party without a bottle of wine!



Today, I leave you with a video about the people we serve. 

Love them.  Pray for them.  Give generously.




I have provided you with a lot of links today! Take your time and go through them all.  Join the Nyaka AIDS Orphans Project cause on Facebook.  You can also LIKE their page on Facebook and follow our tweets @twejaka. 

1 comment:

  1. The video was so beautiful it rendered me speechless. All I can say: every Tuesday this month is yours.

    ReplyDelete