Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Friday, June 24, 2011

Do One Thing Every Day That Scares You

That is a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt.

It makes me think of my friend Cathy, who I think lives by this more than almost anyone I know personally.

Cathy is an inspiring woman.  When you are around her, you immediately feel the power of her joyful, loving spirit.  You feel her excitement and passion about whatever it is she's doing that she believes in.  You feel her interest in and love for you and others around her.  You experience what it is like to know someone who is "real."  She is a great mom, wife, and high school teacher.  She pours herself into everything she does. Tomorrow, she begins her travels to Uganda.

 I have mentioned before that she has been convinced that she is supposed to mother all kinds of children.  She lives this in so many ways Stateside, but her heart is also tugged in the direction of Africa.  For a few weeks, she will be working with teachers, bringing them new supplies and ideas.  She will be reading bedtime stories and tucking kids in who don't have their own mamas.  She will be continuing to build relationships with some special kids she already knows.

It is really difficult to leave your precious family and the safety of your country, even if you are super excited about your adventure.  It takes a lot of courage and faith.  If you think of it and this is the kind of thing you do, please say a prayer for Cathy and her family during the next couple weeks.  I also hope that her stepping out to do something scary-but-chance-of-a-lifetime inspires you too.

1 comment:

  1. I need that quote on my fridge too! :)

    Isn't it revealing that, as I was reading about Cathy's journey, I could think of every conceivable way of talking myself out of doing something like that. Good for her for tamping down her fears and pressing on.

    ReplyDelete