Every now and then, we need a new way of looking at things. Because the world still needs changing.
(See, Christianity and Feminism can agree on something...)

Friday, June 17, 2011

I Feel Pretty

Whose room is this anyway? There are dress-up clothes strewn all over the bed.  My dress up clothes.  Of course, they pale in comparison to my kindergartners fluffy bejeweled gowns.  Or most other people's dress-up clothes.  I'm a stay-at-home mom/student/volunteer refugee worker.  My everyday wardrobe is not even remotely fancy.

But I get to go out with grown-ups tonight, to my favorite little Italian restaurant in town.  When discussing what to wear, one of my friends said she was just going to wear a nice pair of black pants and a shirt.  (Which is technically dressing up in my book, especially if you throw in heels).

I survey the choices on my bed.  I really wanted to wear that black pencil skirt with a cute summer blouse.  But alas, that skirt only fits me when I am in top half-marathon condition.  I can wear that skirt when my weekend runs pass the 10 mile mark.  Not quite there yet.  So it pulls just a bit too much across the butt.  There's my black denim skirt.  Aw, denim is so not dressy enough and that slit goes up a little higher than I'm comfortable with.  I'll spend half the night tugging at it.  There's the adorable Madmen-esque black and white striped skirt.  So cute.  But I'd need to run out and buy a summer shirt to match.  Hmmm. Do I have time for an impromptu shopping trip? The kindergarten program is today.

And then there's the fabulous little black dress.  It's a no-fuss sheath that tries not to be dressy.  But it just can't help it.  Even with flats.  The neckline is lower than I usually wear.  But it is the rare dress - you know - you have had one at some point in your life - when you put it on you say, "Wow! This dress is perfect for me!" Pretty good for a free hand-me-down.

That is not an every day kind of feeling for most women.  I think.  At least for me.  It's fun to once in awhile feel like singing "I Feel Pretty."  So maybe I will try to get that deodorant stain off of the hemline (how and when did that get there?) and wear it anyway.  With a scarf and ballet flats and a not dressy purse. Or at least flats. A girl has to cash in and celebrate her girlyness every once in awhile.

Or maybe I'll take the excuse to go shopping and wear the black and white skirt.  Either way, I'm going all girly tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I actually wrote this yesterday - and no photo occurred. The black dress won, and you'll be interested to know I FINALLY wore that green and gold scarf from Cambodia that I asked advice about last year:)

    And when you visit Syracuse, I MUST take you to this restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete